Important Fisheries Decision
Department of Fisheries
Shri Eknathrao Khadse (MLA of Maharashtra)
Minister of Revenue, Agriculture, Excise and Minority Affairs
The state of Maharashtra gives courage to everyone to win over the nature. So it is our duty to provide overall strength to everyone.
Some important decisions of the department of fisheries are:
- The newly renovated Taraporewala Aquarium in Mumbai was opened to public.
- New permits for Persesian nets will not be provided.
- The whole amount collected from the auction of fishing from lakes in Tribal areas will be given to the Tribal Gram Panchayat. All rights for the auction are already given to the Tribal Gram Panchayat.
- To regulate the provision of permits and registration of fishing boats, both these works are allotted to the department of fisheries. The registration of fishing boats is also done online now.
- The state has a 720 km. coastline. There are 91 landing points on this coastline. To keep record of the traffic of fishing boats on these points, a token system is approved. It is also decided that security guards will be appointed on these points.
- Farmers from drought hit regions who have ponds in their fields are allowed to carry out the fish- seeds and prawn storage program based on 100% grants. This is done to prevent farmers from committing suicide.
- The right to give contracts for fishing is given under PESA Act to those Gram Panchayats which have lakes up to 100 Hectares in their region. This is done to make the Panchayats financially efficient.